Then and Now
Top: When the new Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Training Center opened next to the Carnegie Tech campus in 1956, this postcard described it as “ultramodern.”
Few tears when shed when crews demolished the old building, which was used in the mid-1990s as a temporary student union and then for offices and the Carnegie Mellon police station.
The SCS complex rising on the same spot will contain 200,000 square feet of classrooms, collaborative laboratories and public space. It’ll also have something that was lacking when the old “Navy building” opened—lots of natural light. Indeed, when the planning committee surveyed SCS students, faculty, and staff to find out what they wanted in the new complex, “windows” was the number one request.
Bottom: A photo taken from the same location as the postcard view shows the final steel for the Hillman Center for Future-Generation Technologies rising into place. The Hillman building and adjoining Gates Center for Computer Science will be ready for occupancy in 2009.